Working Holiday Visa Options for Visiting Australia

Working Holiday Visa Options for Visiting Australia

Thinking of visiting Australia on a working holiday? Learn more about the two types of working holiday visas available and how you can apply today.  You'll have the chance to embark on an incredible journey of self-discovery, growth, and learning. As you travel, not only will you meet new people and immerse yourself in different cultures, but you'll also acquire valuable skills and explore new interests.  


Two different types of visas are available for travellers who are planning a working holiday in Australia.  The first is the Working Holiday Visa (417) and the second is the Work and Holiday Visa (462).  


Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 visa)

This visa allows you to travel to Australia on a working holiday.  You have to be between the ages of 18-30 years (or 35 years old for some countries).  You are able to work in Australia to help fund your trip.  


Passport holders of the following countries can apply for the 417 visa: 

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including British National Overseas passport holders)


What you can do:

Stay for 12 months.

You can study for a maximum of four months.

Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want.


What you can’t do:

Bring dependent children.

Work for one employer for more than six months


If you want to stay for a second, you will be required to undertake 3 months of specified work, which includes tourism and hospitality in northern or remote and very remote Australia.  Plant cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming, mining, and construction in regional Australia.  For a full list of approved work types click here.  


To find out more about the Working Holiday Visa click here here.


Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462 visa)

Just like the Working Holiday Visa (417) this visa allows people aged between 18-30 to have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.  They will be able to study for a maximum of six months, and if they choose to stay for a second year, they will have do 3 months of specified subclass 462 work. Visit this page for a full list of specified work. 



They must hold a passport from the following countries:


  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • China, People's Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Mongolia
  • Papua New Guinea (PNG)
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Türkiye
  • Uruguay
  • United States of America
  • Vietnam

To find out if this is the right visa for you go here


If you are thinking of coming to Australia on a working holiday visa and would love to work at one of Australia's best restaurants, why not submit your CV to Locimo?  We're here to make sure business owners have access to highly qualified candidates, so who knows - maybe this is the stepping stone you need to find a fantastic job in Australia!